Re: [tietokannat] 100:n ihmisen kylä.

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Marika Huovinen wrote:

>   Joku on joskus maininnut, että listalle saa lähettää muutakin kuin
>   välittömästi kurssiin liittyvää tietoa. Tässäpä siis tulee pieni pala
>   ajattelemisen aihetta...

Listaa kannattaa yrittää herätellä henkiin, koska tämä on paras kanava
selvitellä esim. harjoitustyössä vastaantulevia ongelmia.

-------------

"I don't need any of that SQL stuff -- I just want a database!"

-------------

Customer: "Hi, I'm supposed to pack [zip] my database and send it to
you. What should I pack it in?"

-------------

During an Excel course:

     Student: "What's the point of a spreadsheet? All it can do is add
things up and stuff."

-------------

In our company, we use Lotus Notes as our database. I am an executive
assistant and am involved with determining how to handle or solve problems
our field personnel have with the database.

One person was telling me that he had lost one of his databases.

     Me: "Lost one of your databases?"
     Him: "Yes, it's fallen off my desktop."

Apparently all he had done was rearrange his databases and only needed to
scroll down to find it. Needless to say, I had been laughing the entire
time.

-------------

About six years ago I was starting to get into 4th Dimension (on the
Macintosh) and was setting up a multi-user database for a client. I got
everything setup as a single user system for the customer because they
didn't want to allocate resources to the database until debugging was
through, etc. So, all was fine and dandy as a single user system. The
customer called me back three days later and was very frustrated trying to
get multi-user working. Everything seemed ok in his setup, but he couldn't
use both "machines" at once because the other user kept "messing up the
screen." Turns out that he just plugged two keyboards into the same
Macintosh and thought that meant multi-user.

-------------

A friend at work had to visit a police station to work on a Clipper
database recording parking fines. Before he
started work he made sure to check that the staff had a backup of the
database in case anything went wrong.

"Oh yes, every evening we back it up onto a floppy disk and take it over
to the other building and lock it in a
fire-proof safe."

"Very good," said my colleague, impressed at their security-consciousness
-- if only all our customers could be so
efficient! But then something they'd said made him pause. "Wait a minute -
did you say a floppy disk? You mean
you back up the whole database onto a single diskette?"

"Yes, that's right. Just one."

"But this diskette can only hold 1.44 Mb of data -- you've got over ten
megabytes in this system. What exactly do
you do to make the backup?"

So they showed him. Every day they'd religiously inserted a fresh diskette
into the drive, typed "FORMAT A:", and,
"backup complete," they deposited the newly formatted, but quite empty,
diskette in the safe.

Before starting his work, my friend showed them how to really make a
backup, which was fortunate for my friend,
if not for the local parking offenders, as a week later the PC in question
suffered a complete hard-drive failure.

Lisää vitsejä:
http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/

--
Tommi Lahtonen, tommi.j.lahtonen@jyu.fi, <URL: http://www.iki.fi/hazor/>

Preudhomme's Law of Window Cleaning:  It's on the other side.